There is no getting away from the fact that cybercriminals and hackers are everywhere these days. Business owners need to remain vigilant and take precautions if they don’t want to become the victims of crime. The information in this article will educate all readers about the basics of protecting their operations and ensuring information theft doesn’t occur. The last thing any entrepreneur wants is for a hacker to steal their customer payment details because that often results in bad press and a lot of headaches. With that in mind, use the advice below to ensure you leave no stone unturned when it comes to securing your company.
So how do hackers break into my website or computer network?
There are many ways in which hackers might attempt to breach your security tools and gain access to your website or office computer network. However, some methods are more common than others. In recent times, business owners report the following strategies when hacking attacks occur:
- The hacker will upload specialist tools to your website that allow them to create multiple backdoors. That means that if you identify the first vulnerability and fix it, the criminal can still gain access using a variety of different methods.
- Some online hackers will attempt to download all user accounts and then use specialist tools to break through password encryption. Alternatively, those criminals can just steal the contact information like email addresses before selling the data to spamming organisations.
Well, how do I stop that from happening?
Protecting your computer network:
You have lots of options on the table when it comes to protecting a computer network against hacking attacks. In most instances, it makes sense to build a relationship with an IT Support company that can offer assistance if the worst occurs. However, there are lots of preventative measures you can take in advance. Considering that, be sure to read the following information carefully and put the tips into action as soon as possible!
- Invest in digital and physical firewalls – You can get those items online for little money these days. Just be sure to conduct a lot of research and read reviews from other business owners before committing.
- Keep all software updated – Software developers release updated versions of their products all the time to help combat security vulnerabilities. If you don’t have the latest version of the program, you might expose your company to hackers.
- Provide employee security training – It’s vital to offer all employees training on the best practices for maintaining maximum security. For instance, business owners should ensure their workers never connect personal smartphones to the business network. Likewise, the team members should never access their social media accounts in the workplace. However they should follow an IT Security expert and learn from their views and news. That could create security concerns.
- Use strong and random passwords that contain numbers and letters – There are lots of random password tools that anyone can use if they want to ensure hackers can’t guess their way into the network. It’s worth investing in one of those programs as soon as possible.
- Don’t connect unknown devices to your computers – As mentioned a moment ago, connecting smartphones and other media to your computer network could create problems. If hackers already have access to that device, they will have no issue when it comes to penetrating your system.
- Encrypt all sensitive data or store it in the cloud – Cloud storage providers use some of the most advanced encryption tools and strategies possible. So, business owners shouldn’t have to worry too much if they keep their sensitive data secure using one of those services. However, it’s also vital that you encrypt information on your office network too!
- Never use unsecured WiFi networks – If you connect your computers to unsecured public networks, hackers can break into your system in a matter of sections. Indeed, there are low-cost computer programs that even teenagers could use to steal your information if you make that simple error.
Protecting your website:
Business owners also need to follow the correct strategies when it comes to ensuring their websites don’t become vulnerable to hacking attacks. The list of tips below will assist you in making sure your site has the most robust protections possible. Failure to implement the advice from this section will mean you stand a much higher chance of becoming a victim than those who pay attention.
- Keep all software, and website plugins up-to-date – Hackers will look to exploit the vulnerabilities that developers work hard to solve with their software and plug-in updates.
- Use complex passwords – Again, you can find programs that create random passwords without breaking the bank.
- Don’t allow users to upload files – Unless there is no alternative, allowing users to upload files is a recipe for disaster.
- Only use HTTPS to deliver private information (payment details, etc.)
- Use the best website security tools – There are new programs and plug-ins hitting the market every single day. So, business owners just need to keep abreast of the latest advancements and invest at the right time.
- Always use a secure online payment gateway – Consumers expect to see that little padlock in the left-hand cover of the address bar when they enter payment information. Ensuring the page is secure should help to protect against hacking attacks. However, it should also mean you miss out on fewer sales.
Now you know all the basics of protecting your business from cyber attacks; you just need to put that advice into action. There is no time to delay because criminals work around the clock to steal information and profit from their crimes. So, sit down with your most dedicated team members as soon as possible before discussing the matter and designing your strategy. As stated only a moment ago, sometimes company bosses will benefit from the expertise of professionals. With that in might, weigh all the pros and cons and then work out if you have enough money in your budget to pay for assistance. If you don’t, just follow the advice from tips post!